Thursday, October 14, 2010

Falling Short 31 for 21

As I began this blog in February I realized that it was going to be a personal challenge for a multitude of reasons: being a new mom, being a new mom to a child with special needs, being a new mom of a child with special needs who has a ton of papers to grade because she is a teacher, wife-y things, time management issues, procrastination issues....I could go on and on.   I know myself, and I know that I have never been a good journal keeper.  Baby book-keeping...Fahgetaboutit.  I knew when Cameran was 11 months old that I needed to do something to record memories, and the result is this blog.  As far as I know her (two) baby books are collecting dust in a closet in one of the rooms upstairs.

Then I learned about the 31 for 21 challenge.  Thirty one days of writing about Down syndrome to promote awareness.  I made it what, seven of those days before throwing in the metaphorical towel??  And it's not that I don't think I am up for the challenge.  I surely advocate for my daughter and love sharing with others.  I am not an overly-private person, and I certainly don't beat around the bush. But for me, this challenge has been TOUGH.  I am not giving up.  I have a ton to write about, especially since our Buddy Walk this past weekend was so amazing, especially since my in-laws came and surprised us.  And the pictures...I have tons of pictures thanks to my dad, my friend Emily, and those from my own camera.  The challenge is finding time to sit down and load them onto the computer. 

I think my issue is that my days and nights don't revolve around Down syndrome.  They revolve around Cameran (and Ryan, too).  For me to focus on Ds itself makes it feel like that is our whole life and all we think about with Cameran.  That is absolutely not the case.  So, for the rest of October I am going to attempt to post more frequently and to continue with the spirit of 31 for 21, but mainly I am going to focus on my DAUGHTER and our family, and Down syndrome can come along for the ride.

HAPPY OCTOBER!!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...